Contact
de

Auf Habichts Flügeln - On the wings of the goshawk (especially for e-bikes)

Characteristics

Distance 24,6 km
Roundtrip: yes
Signage: along the route
start Brölstraße (B478) / Eitorfer Straße
end EP: Müller

This demanding and scenically attractive loop trail connects the three main towns in the municipality of Bröltal (Ruppichteroth, Winterscheid and Schönenberg). First, it’s uphill from Ruppichteroth to the “Caluna” with its magnificent view down into the Bröltal valley. Then on to Nutscheid, the largest continuous forested area in Naturpark Bergisches Land, and along a stretch of the historical “Römerstraße” (Roman Road) with wonderful views as far as Westerwald and the Siebengebirge, then downhill through Fußhollen to the Derenbachtal valley. Then a steep uphill climb to the “golden village” of Winterscheid and in the direction of Hatterscheid through the Count’s Nesselrodesche high forest and down to Bröleck. Then along the Bröltal cycle trail, a flat stretch takes you past the town hall in Schönenberg and the Herrenbröl castle ruins back to Ruppichteroth.


Highlights along the route:


- historical centre of Ruppichteroth: The timber-framed houses line up like little gems and form the historical centre. The decorative alleyways between the Catholic parish church and the Protestant church provide original Bergisch flair.


- Panorama Ruppichteroth: On both sides of the forested Bröltal valley, Ruppichteroth nestles into the hilly landscape. Meadows and wetlands, extensive forests and gentle hills surround the centre with its two church towers.


- Juliusstollen Ruppichteroth: The roots of the town’s history run deep. At the entrance to the former “Juliusstollen” iron ore adit, the wagons are a reminder of the ore mining around the “Grube Sperber” and “Zuckergrube” pits up until 1882.


- Herrenbröl Castle Ruins: In Bröltal, you will find the remains of the Herrenbröl Castle Ruins, a manor house first documented in 1417. Of the castle complex, parts of the surrounding walls and the tower remain.


- Winterscheid: The municipality was first mentioned in documents in 1131 and has won many awards as the most beautiful village in the district of Rhine-Sieg.

(Images: Gemeinde Ruppichteroth, Gemeinde Ruppichteroth, Maren Pussak / Das Bergische)

Auf Karte anzeigen

Highlights

Route Description

Ruppichteroth - Heide - Kämerscheid - Wingenbach - Fußhollen - Winterscheid - Bröleck - Schönenberg - Herrenbröl - Ruppichteroth

Arrival:

public transport: mit bus 530, 531 to busstop "Ruppichteroth Denkmal"


by car: route B478 (Brölstraße) to Eitorfer Straße / Pfarrgasse