Phone: (0228) 461609
The Romanesque double church of St. Maria and St. Clemens in the Bonn district of Schwarzrheindorf on the right bank of the Rhine is one of the most important Romanesque churches in Germany. It was built in the mid-12th century at the request of Arnold II von Wied (from 1151 to 1156 Archbishop and electorate prince of Cologne) and his sister Hedwig von Wied. The upper church is dedicated to the mother of God, while the lower church is dedicated to St. Clemens.
The ground plan of the church is in the shape of a cross. Its interior spaces, which are situated one on top of the other, each have their own altar. An octagonal opening in the floor of the upper church provides a view down into the lower church. The cycle of Romanesque wall paintings with themes from the Old Testament inside the church are worth noting.
Viewing only possible outside church service hours.
(Images: CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=648250, Von Hawobo - Eigenes Werk des ursprünglichen Hochladers, CC BY-SA 2.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5054126, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=648253)
- Public transport: max. 1 km