The Museum Ludwig was founded in 1976 when around 350 works of modern art were donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig. The aim was to be the first Cologne Museum of Modern Art. As well as pop artworks, the Ludwigs also donated a comprehensive collection of Russian avantgarde works dating from 1906 to 1930, as well as a set of several hundred works by Pablo Picasso, all of which are on permanent loan to the museum. Picasso’s works are now owned by the museum, following two generous donations in 1994 and 2001.
The modern department of the Wallraf-Richartz Museum with the Expressionist collection by Cologne lawyer Joseph Haubrich formed the basis for the collection of contemporary art, and has now also been integrated into the Museum Ludwig. Roy Lichtenstein’s “Maybe”, Andy Warhol’s “Brillo Boxes” or George Segal’s “Restaurant Window” – icons of American Pop Art – are among the best-known works in the museum.
(Images: © Rheinisches Bildarchiv, © KölnTourismus GmbH_Andreas Möltgen)
- impaired mobility