The Bahnhof Rolandseck, which was opened in 1856, is a meaningful cultural monument of the Rhenish history of art. Once known as the final destination of the Rhenish railway leading up the river from Cologne, the Bahnhof Rolandseck with its splendid festival hall had been a meeting point for prominent people from the sectors of culture, science and policy already in the 19th century. Since the middle of the 60s of the 20th century, artist’s studios have been established and exhibitions and concerts have taken place here. When the privately-run cultural centre was almost bankrupt at the beginning of the 70s, the federal country Rheinland-Pfalz purchased the Bahnhof Rolandseck and founded the Stiftung Bahnhof Rolandseck. It has gained a special meaning due to the estate of the artistic couple Hans Arp (1887-1966) and Sophie Taeubner-Arp (1889-1943), which will find a permanent home here. The classicistic Bahnhof Rolandseck, which was restored already, is supposed to be connected with a modern exhibition building on the Rheinhöhen (the heights of the river Rhine) by means of two tunnels and two lifts. The new building for this museum designed by the American star architect Richard Meier will be opened in 2006, when the Bahnhof Rolandseck celebrates its 150-year anniversary. The cultural ensemble has been supplemented by a sculpture bank with sculptures of Hans Arp and other modern sculptors already now. 12 to 14 sculptures are planned to be exhibited at the banks of the river Rhine of Remagen in the future.