The white house on the Rhine was built in 1862/63 by Mühlheim merchant Albrecht Troost as a private residence. In 1868, the sugar manufacturer Leopold Koenig, father of the zoologist Alexander Koenig, bought the villa and had it extended. In 1899, textile millionaire and art collector Rudolf Hammerschmidt bought the house and renovated it according to his own vision. After the death of Hammerschmidt, who had made the villa one of Bonn’s social hubs, it was used for various purposes. It was only in 1950 that the Federal Republic bought the house and converted it into the official seat of the Federal President.
Today, Villa Hammerschmidt serves as the Federal President’s official seat in Bonn.
(Images: Sondermann, Presseamt der Stadt Bonn, Von Wolkenkratzer - Eigenes Werk, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=62759782, Von Sir James - Eigenes Werk, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4671242, Von Leit - Selbst fotografiert, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48279226)
- Public transport: max. 500 m